Humane Slaughter Association
Caring beyond the farm gate
Registered Charity Number: 1159690
The Humane Slaughter Association works to improve the welfare of food animals during transport, marketing, slaughter, and killing for disease control and welfare reasons. It works through research, education, training and technical advances to improve standards and bring practical and lasting improvements to the welfare of food animals around the world.
The HSA has gained an international reputation for being a knowledgeable and practical organisation, with a sound understanding of livestock and livestock handling. The HSA is respected for its focus on science-based solutions and the support it has given to scientific and technical development in its field.
Practical, constructive, proven
Over the last 100 years, the HSA’s work has resulted in many significant improvements for food animals around the world and many of the reforms it has promoted are now taken for granted. Significant improvements continue to be achieved through working constructively alongside agricultural, meat industry, veterinary and other welfare and professional organisations.
The HSA provides
- Up-to-date technical information and advice on all aspects of animal handling, transport, slaughter and killing
- Training in humane methods of handling and slaughter of livestock for farmers, vets, abattoir staff and students.
- Technical and educational publications in a range of formats.
- Independent advice to governments, other welfare organisations and the food industry.
- Visits to markets and slaughterhouses recommending and advising on improvements where necessary.
- Funding for essential research and other projects through grants and awards.
- Development and application of scientific advances into the working practices of the meat industry.
Help make good welfare practice a reality for all food animals. The HSA is the only registered charity that works exclusively, through educational and technical advances, towards the highest worldwide standards of welfare for food animals during transport, marketing and slaughter. The HSA’s specialist, technical staff provide constructive advice, educational materials and training for anyone involved in livestock handling, including producers, road hauliers, markets, slaughterhouses, retailers and agricultural and veterinary students. The HSA encourages others to improve welfare standards by offering annual research awards and grants. Independent of political, trade and emotional pressures, the HSA depends on your support to continue its work.
Humane Slaughter Association
The Old School
Phone: 01582 831919
Fax: 01582 831414
Humane Slaughter Association News
Gifts left in Wills are really important to us. Click the button below to find more about our charity legacy appeal and what options are available to you.