Registered Charity Number:
The fund helps to improve educational provision for pupils of Mulanje Mission Community Day Secondary School. This includes raising money for further education bursaries to help students find employment and also helping raise money to provide school facilities.
The fund is named in memory of Linda Nelson. Linda was a teacher at Fortrose Academy in the Highlands of Scotland where she taught Geography, a subject that she loved. She had studied at Edinburgh University where she was awarded the Royal Scottish Geography Society Medal in 1976. Prior to her post in Fortrose Academy she had worked in St Ives, Cambridgeshire and Baghdad International School, Iraq.
The Fund that she set up in 2006 was principally to help provide bursaries for Further and Higher Education after attending school. Following Linda’s death from cancer in 2006 the fund is now managed by a small committee of friends, colleagues and family with strong connections to Fortrose Academy Malawi Schools Link.
27 bursaries have been awarded to date for normally 2 year college studies. Details are given on the Funds website. The majority of bursary students have gone on to get full time employment or to start their own businesses in the community or nearby.
Charity Choice Directory Listings
Lindas Fund: Upgrade to a premium charity profile
- Appear higher in search results and directory listings
- Add your logo, photos and more information about your charity
- Add Videos
- Add a link to your donation facility
- Use of a dedicated and customisable Gifts in Wills fundraising page
- Your logo will feature on the profile of related charity pages
- Your profile pages will not feature “Useful links” logos from other charities
- Your profile will not promote other relevant charities pages on your profile