Godwin Lawson Foundation
Registered Charity Number: 1149989
The Godwin Lawson Foundation is a registered charity that was set up to commemorate the life of Godwin Lawson and to advance the education of young people so that they can develop their capabilities as members of a tolerant society.
We do this through leisure time activities that foster a team spirit and that raise awareness of social issues and cultural diversity.
On Saturday 27th March 2010, 17 year old Godwin Lawson was walking home with his friends in North London when they were attacked by a group of men. The attack was unprovoked and when Godwin went to help his friends he was fatally stabbed. His life was abruptly taken away from all who knew and loved him.
One of the most worrying factors in today’s “postcode wars” between gangs is that the issue of where someone lives is becoming increasingly synonymous with affiliation. This means a significant number of young people are exposed to gang culture solely because of where they live.
This can lead to isolation, ostracism, prejudice and genuine fear of not being able to venture into certain areas of their borough, or other parts of London, without being attacked. We believe that the use of sports, especially football, can be a fundamental element in combating postcode and area rivalry on our London streets.
In the early hours of Saturday 27th March 2010, Godwin Lawson at 17 years old was fatally stabbed, and his life was abruptly taken away from all who knew and loved him.
One of the most worrying factors in today’s postcode wars is that the issue of residence is becoming synonymous with affiliation, with a significant number of young people now exposed to gang culture because of where they live. This can lead to isolation, ostracism, prejudice and genuine fear of not being able to venture into certain areas of their borough or other parts of London without being attacked. We believe
the use of sports, especially football, can be a fundamental element in attacking the war against postcode rivarly in our london streets.
The Godwin Lawson Foundation will invest in young people whom want to be a part of positive initiatives, and ensure that they arrive home safely afterwards. The foundation will do this through providing minibus transport to and from positive youth events. The vision of the Foundation is to see a fleet of Godwin buses operating across the country transporting young people to and from, football matches, positive music events, community projects, and other initiatives, especially cross border initiatives.
- Help to develop an awareness on the effect of knife crime through drama and discussions.
- Discuss their daily challenges and identify ways to support them.
- Advice ways to channel negative situations into positive outcomes.
- Arrange football matches between different postcodes.
- Involve parents through workshops and meeting.
- Develop Strategies for Good Parenting.
Godwin Lawson Foundation
14 The Loning
Phone: 07852 976261
Godwin Lawson Foundation: Upgrade to a premium charity profile
- Appear higher in search results and directory listings
- Add your logo, photos and more information about your charity
- Add Videos
- Add a link to your donation facility
- Use of a dedicated and customisable Gifts in Wills fundraising page
- Your logo will feature on the profile of related charity pages
- Your profile pages will not feature “Useful links” logos from other charities
- Your profile will not promote other relevant charities pages on your profile