Founded by the Lady Richeldis in 1061, destroyed by Henry VIII in 1538, restored in 1922 by Father Hope Patten, the Anglican Vicar of Walsingham - the Shrine has had an eventful history across nearly a thousand years. This medieval place of pilgrimage, which rivalled Canterbury as a destination, was visited by thousands of pilgrims from all across Britain and Europe. It became known as 'England's Nazareth' because of the nature of the vision which the Lady Richeldis experienced. Today, after 350 years of post-Reformation neglect, the past 95 years have witnessed the dramatic restoration of pilgrimage to Walsingham.
The Anglican Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham (WCTA Ltd)
The Development Office
The (Anglican) Shrine of Our Lady of Walsingham
The Milner Wing
Phone: 01328 824214
Fax: 01328 824211