Registered Charity Number: 1125976
‘Alkionides’ are the Halcyon days, the calm bright days in the midst of winter, that according to myth the Gods provide to the kingfishers to enable them to hatch their eggs. Similarly, we aim to brighten the days of families facing desperate times
Since our foundation in Cyprus in 1998, Alkionides Charity had the inspiration to 'build' a nest in central London to house under-privileged families staying in the UK for long-term treatments. Now our dream has come to fruition! We rented rooms in a flat in Paddington to provide fully furnished and equipped accommodation for these families. Our first visitors, in March 2010, were the families of two six year-old girls: Maria who was receiving treatment for a rare form of cancer and Stella who was having plastic surgery at Harley Street for a facial deformity from birth. Cypriot TV and internet access are provided and friends of the Charity visit with gifts to help them forget the pain.
The families staying at the Alkionides Nest can cook together and support each other and the nest provides warmth. More than 100 families have benefited from this facility since March 2010. We do hope that in the coming year we will secure sponsors who will enable us to continue our work.
We have no administration costs and any costs incurred by the charity are borne by the volunteer-members of the charity.
15 Westdene Crescent
Alkionides Uk: Upgrade to a premium charity profile
- Appear higher in search results and directory listings
- Add your logo, photos and more information about your charity
- Add Videos
- Add a link to your donation facility
- Use of a dedicated and customisable Gifts in Wills fundraising page
- Your logo will feature on the profile of related charity pages
- Your profile pages will not feature “Useful links” logos from other charities
- Your profile will not promote other relevant charities pages on your profile