Registered Charity Number: 1109460
Manchester, Greater Manchester
The aim in Gambia is to advance educational opportunities in remote rural locations. To this end, over the years, we have funded and enabled the establishment of nursery and infant schools; established a women’s literacy centre and provided ongoing support and maintenance for these schools and enterprises. We have visited for one week each year, providing direct help for the current project (whether it be building, painting or digging!) as well as spending time teaching and interacting with the children and reviewing and planning with Lamin Jammeh, current Project Manager, and other adults who teach and facilitate.
The aims for the Withington Girls' School's participants are to experience the culture of a West African country;
- For the girls to be physically involved whilst in country with organised activities to benefit the community
- To raise £5,000 - or more - per year
- Evaluate the progress of our projects, year-on-year
- For returning girls to continue their involvement and to hand over to the next cohort;
- To use some funds raised to purchase locally made crafts to be sold back in the UK, benefiting Gambian craftspeople and entrepreneurs, and raising further funds for the projects.
Any development work carried out is advised by Lamin to ensure we stay sensitive to the needs of the local community and are guided by what they need. Lamin visits local village elders and assesses need and advises us accordingly.
We have learnt as we have gone along and soon realised the need for sustainability – improving what has already been established year-on-year. Mama Tamba School in Illiassa is our main project; it is a model school and our main focus. A measure of its success can be judged by the development of classroom buildings, toilets, day care centre, well, kitchen, dining room and store.
Throughout 2016, the Gambia Team will be fundraising in order to finance a number of projects. This year we propose to continue funding some improvements to one of our primary schools – Mama Tamba Nursery school. This includes the installation of electricity, repairs to the ceiling of the school office and staff room, roofing and tiling of the toilets and an additional classroom so that more children from the village can attend school. We will also continue our sponsorship of teachers’ salaries in order for all the children, currently just over 100 boys and girls aged 3 years to 7 years, to attend free of charge. We also fund a feeding program for the children in order to purchase additional bags of rice to cover any shortfall in the harvest. This allows us to provide at least one nutritious meal for the children each day.
Exact costs are difficult to ascertain at this stage but if the team raised £6000 this would allow us to fulfil all of the above projects.
More information is available of our Withington Girls' School webpage, please don't hesitate to contact Kaeren for further details about how you can support our charity.
Kaeren Browning, WGS Gambia Coordinator
"It's great to be able to give to a charity where you know EVERY penny will go DIRECTLY to enhance the lives of children in The Gambia." Anon. March 2016
Withington Girls’ School
Phone: 0161 224 1077
Charity Choice Directory Listings
With Gambia: Upgrade to a premium charity profile
- a customised microsite - add your charity's logo, strapline and colours
- appearing higher up in our directory listings
- Your logo featuring on the profiles of thousands of free related charity microsites
- Your microsite will not feature any other charities advertising