Facial Palsy UK
Registered Charity Number: 1148115
We take the simplest things for granted in our everyday lives. The ability to keep food in our mouths as we eat, the ability to close our eyes for sleep, the ability to kiss our loved ones, and the ability to laugh without fear of being ridiculed. Facial palsy affects basic human function yet it is often misunderstood by the general public, and the true impact of the condition tends to fly under the medical radar. Before establishing the charity Facial Palsy UK in 2012, many people with facial palsy were completely without any form of help or support.
Facial Palsy UK supports people affected by facial palsy due to any cause. More than 100,000 people are thought to have facial palsy in the UK and it can be the result of multiple causes such as disease, injury, stroke, birth trauma, cancer, neurological conditions and more. It can affect anyone, young or old, male or female, at any time.
What is facial palsy?
The term facial palsy generally refers to weakness of the facial muscles, mainly resulting from temporary or permanent damage to the facial nerve. When a facial nerve is either non-functioning or missing, the muscles in the face do not receive the necessary signals in order to function properly. This results in paralysis of the affected part of the face, which can affect movement of the eye(s) and/or the mouth, as well as other areas.
There are different degrees of facial paralysis: sometimes only the lower half of the face is affected, sometimes one whole side of the face is affected and in some cases both sides of the face are affected.
What do we do?
- Operate local support groups for adults with facial palsy
- Organise family days for children affected by the condition and their families
- Provide telephone and email support, and information, to people affected by facial palsy and their families
- Connect people with others who have shared experiences for mutual support
- Raise awareness of the needs of facial palsy patients with the medical profession
- Raise awareness of facial palsy and how it impacts on the lives of those affected
- Promote training of specialists so treatments are more widely available and easier to access
- Promote research for the long-term benefit of people affected by facial palsy
Facial Palsy UK
Phone: 01273 803040
Charity Choice Directory Listings
Facial Palsy UK: Upgrade to a premium charity profile
- a customised microsite - add your charity's logo, strapline and colours
- appearing higher up in our directory listings
- Your logo featuring on the profiles of thousands of free related charity microsites
- Your microsite will not feature any other charities advertising