Did you know that the average adult should take 10,000 steps a day? As itís National Walking Month, we thought weíd put together a handy list of tips to help you fit more walking into your day.
Walking tips for when you are at home
- Cooking or brushing your teeth donít have to be sedentary activities. Do laps around the kitchen whilst making dinner or when you are cleaning your pearly whites, take a stride around the bathroom or bedroom. After all, you are supposed to brush your teeth for at least 2 minutes!
- Need to unload the car after your weekly shop? Do shuttle runs and take the bags into the house one by one.
- Bored during the ad breaks? Take a turn about the room whilst you wait for your favourite show to start again.
Walking tips for when you are at work
- How about a meeting on the move? They donít need to be in a stuffy office. Take a stroll out to a local park and chew the fat over your latest project there.
- Save the planet as well as your health and take the stairs rather than the lift.
- Take long calls on your mobile phone rather than your desk phone and take a stroll whilst youíre at it.
- Donít just rely on email to communicate with colleagues. If you need to speak to someone on a different floor, go and see them in person.
Walking tips for when you are out and about
- Need to nip to the corner shop? Leave your car at home and walk and perhaps even figure out Ďthe long cutí to add extra time to your journey. Youíll probably see things you wouldnít normally see!
- If you are using public transport, consider getting off a few stops before your final destination and walk the rest of the way.
- Rather than looking for the closest parking space, look for the one furthest away.
- Make walking a leisure activity so rather than arrange to meet friends for lunch, arrange to meet in your local park and walk a few circuits (and then stop for a picnic lunch!)
Want to find out more about National Walking Month? Visit www.livingstreets.org.uk or follow them on twitter @livingstreets