On September 8th It's International Cat day – a day to celebrate our feline furry friends and a great chance to spotlight charities that rescue, help and rehome abandoned kittens and cats.
It’s now annual kitten season and Cats Protection branches and centres report that they are struggling to care for over 1,600 new kittens nationally so it’s a time when animal centres’ need for help and donations increase.
- There are approximately 8 million* pet cats in the UK
- Cats are good for your mental health. A study of 600 cat lovers by Cats Protection (with half attesting to mental health problems) found that 87% (of 600 people taking part) saw looking after a cat as having a positive impact on well-being!
- A group of cats is called a clowder
- A group of kittens is called a kindle
- Cats cannot taste anything sweet
- Sleepy Puss: Cats sleep 70% of their lives
- Cat Carers can reduce the risk of stroke and heart attack by a third http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1582144/Owning-a-cat-cuts-stroke-risk-by-third.html
To find cat friendly charities click here